Last year, Auckland ranked 3rd out of 450 cities in the world for quality of life, according to Mercer. If you’re just visiting or a newbie in the city, you don’t need to splurge to have a great experience. Here’s a handy guide for a fun day out because the best things in life are free!
- Visit the playspace at Wynyard Quarter. You’ll find that Aucklanders take the concept of playgrounds seriously with unique designs.
- Go for a picnic at the Cornwall Park. You can stroll, jog, exercise, play games or sports on the open lawns, go on a barbeque with friends and family, visit the farm or just sit by a tree and read a book.
- Explore Devonport, one of Auckland’s oldest suburbs. It has a beautiful streetscape with cool studio art galleries, independent bookstores, and unique boutique shops. Make sure to do a scenic walk along the Devonport waterfront.
- Don’t leave without visiting the Auckland Art Gallery. It’s definitely free admissions to see the permanent exhibitions but some certain exhibitions you need to pay for. There is currently an exhibition called Yayoi Kusama: The Obliteration Room that the kids will surely love. You can also stop by the Albert Park just beside the gallery for a serene stroll.
- Head out for a quick drive to Long Bay Regional Park. The seaside reserve boasts a long beautiful beach that gently slopes down to the waters of a coastal marine reserve. You can fly a kite, run wild or simply rest and relax in the sun. Go for a dip during summer and autumn.
- Watch a movie under the stars in Auckland for free. Yes, there are free outdoor cinemas in the city. How cool is that! Bring a picnic basket or some popcorn and head to these beautiful parks for a cozy date night. Find out what’s showing this March here.
- Auckland’s waterfront is always a bustling sight. There’s so much to see as the boats come and go by the dock. Snap photos of interesting architecture and building designs on your way and grab something to eat at the dining hotspots nearby.
- Have you ever heard of the saying, “A rose speaks of love silently in a language known only to the heart”? Well, you’ll definitely fall in love with the stunning surroundings of Parnell Rose Gardens. Stroll with your loved ones and make sure to smell the roses.
- The Potter Children’s Garden at the Auckland Botanical Gardens is a special treat for children of all ages. Explore secret paths and experience at close-hand flowers, fruit and bird life at this educational and enjoyable spot.
- One of the things you must do to see and feel the beauty of Auckland is to visit Mount Eden. It has the highest geographical point in Auckland with views of the Manukau and Waitematā harbours, Rangitoto and beyond. The majestic scenery will simply take your breath away.
You don’t need to spend a lot to experience the best of Auckland. There’s so much to see and do in the City of Sails for free even if you’re just here for a visit or planning to stay long.
Photo above: Cornwall Park from Pixabay